Subscribe to Straight-Up Wellness: Apple Podcasts | Android | Google Podcasts | Stitcher
Robby Barbaro, MPH, and Cyrus Khambatta, PhD, are the team behind masteringdiabetes.org, an online coaching platform for people living with all forms of diabetes, that focuses on low-fat, plant-based, whole-food nutrition.
Robby Barbaro has a Master’s Degree in Public Health, and spent six years helping build the revolutionary Forks Over Knives empire. He was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in 2000.
Khambatta and Barbaro have been featured in media outlets such as NPR, CNBC, Healthline, VICE, Fast Company, WIRED, KQED, and Plant Based News. They have spoken at major medical conferences including the International Plant-Based Nutrition Healthcare Conference (PBNHC), the American College of Lifestyle Medicine (ACLM) Conference, Plant-Stock, and VegFest LA.
In this episode, Robby Barbaro talks about:
- Robby’s Type-1 Diabetes diagnosis
- Defining Type-1 Diabetes
- Symptoms of T1D
- Learning new lifestyle symptoms
- Monitoring and testing life
- High fruit intake and lower need for insulin
- Cause of insulin resistance
- Eliminating insulin resistance
- 5 types of good carbs: fruits, starchy vegetables, bean, lentils, whole grains
- What happens when combining high carb and high fat
- Food timing and insulin injections
- Consistency of diabetes regulation
- Typical day of eating for Robby
- Nutrition as key for diabetes management
- One simple change to make right now
- Organic and seasonal foods
Mastering Diabetes Podcast