Subscribe to Straight-Up Wellness: Apple Podcasts | Android | Google Podcasts | Stitcher
Autumn Fladmo Smith is the co-founder of Paleovalley and Wild Pastures, holds a Masters in Holistic Nutrition, is a Certified Eating Psychology Coach, and a Certified FDN Practitioner.
Her passion for health began with her own struggles with IBS and anxiety: despite a career as a professional dancer and celebrity fitness trainer, Autumn’s own health was in shambles.
Desperate for a cure, she and her husband Chas stumbled upon the paleo diet in 2011 and within a month of beginning it, her health was completely transformed. Autumn then made it her mission to share the information she had learned with as many people as possible.
She is now the co-founder of Paleovalley, an organic whole-food supplement and paleo snack food company that prioritizes nutrient density and food quality.
In 2018, she took things a step further and launched her second business with her husband: Wild Pastures, a regenerative pasture-based meat delivery service. Wild Pastures makes supporting sustainable agriculture and local, small farms easy for consumers.
She lives in Boulder, CO with her husband and their son, Maveric.
In this episode, Autumn Smith talks about:
- Autumn’s personal health struggles
- Mental health struggles
- Super fit but not well
- Healing with Paleo
- Difficulty in finding good snacks while traveling
- Going hardcore with Paleo
- Importance of being low carb for energy
- 3 things to understand about diet and mental health
- Identifying inflammation
- Nutrient deficiencies
- 3 days of tracking in cronometer for nutrient identification
- Learning how to balance blood sugar
- How our bodies respond to food is as unique as our fingerprints
- Most protective foods for mental health issues
- Autumn’s green shake recipe
- Understanding where ingredients come from
- The truth about “free-range” and “grass-fed”
- How the treatment of animals impacts the taste of the meat
- Why to avoid encapsulated citric acid
- Grass-fed meat as best food to protect against anxiety
- Importance of Vitamin C in its whole form
- Vitamin C as a natural adderall
- Vitamin C for viral infections
- The awesome power of apple cider vinegar
- Acne and gut health
- Moving cows around to stimulate grass growth and regenerate soil